A brief history
In the 1840's German immigrants came to Wayne County. The Wayne County Court granted worshipers a charter on May 16, 1846, for the "Johannes Evangelisches Lutheranisches Kirche". The current building on the corners of Church and Seventh Streets was dedicated on October 4, 1904. In February of 1926 the congregation opted to have all morning services be conducted in English and voted to change the name of the church to St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church. Handicap accessibility to the sanctuary was improved at St. John's in 2008 with the installation of the lift. In 2010 three handicapped accessible bathrooms were installed in Fellowship Hall. St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church is an ELCA organization. All are welcome in this place!